Guilford Makes Statement in Narrow Men's Lacrosse Setback at Roanoke

Thomas Deane (Zach Morgan '14 photo)
Thomas Deane (Zach Morgan '14 photo)

SALEM, Va. – Tyler McWilliams scored with 1:47 left in regulation to lift Roanoke College to an 8-7 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) lacrosse victory over visiting Guilford College Wednesday night.

McWilliams scored both of his goals and had an assist in the second half. He helped the Maroons (7-3, 3-0 ODAC) rally past the Quakers (5-3, 0-3 ODAC) in Guilford's best showing against the perennial ODAC power since an 11-10 overtime win over Roanoke in 1991.

The Quakers led, 1-0, after one quarter and held a 3-1 edge midway through the second period before Roanoke reeled off three straight goals. Guilford's Duncan Fitzgerald tallied 29 seconds before halftime to knot the score at 4-4.

Guilford's Dylan Haupt and Nick Damiano opened the second-half scoring, which gave the guests a 6-4 edge. McWilliams notched his first goal with 4:45 left in the frame and assisted on Will Pilat's game-tying score later in the third quarter.

The teams played a scoreless final quarter for nearly 10 minutes as goalies Thomas Deane (Guilford) and Charles Pease (Roanoke) combined for seven saves. Roanoke went ahead on Kevin Jackson' unassisted goal with 5:20 remaining, but Guilford's Daniel Hughey notched his second goal of the night, which tied the score at 7-7 with 2:36 left.

The Quakers threatened after McWilliams' go-ahead score as Duncan Fitzgerald won his third face-off of the night. Guilford called two timeouts and had four shots in the final 99 seconds, but none were on goal. Following a Roanoke timeout with two seconds remaining, Hughey took one final shot from about 30 yards out, which made it on goal, but was deflected away by Pease.

Roanoke won 16 of the game's 19 face-offs, including 12 by James Fisher, who picked up a game-high 10 ground balls. Kevin Jackson caused two turnovers, picked up five ground balls and also scored twice. Pease finished with eight saves, a ground ball and a caused turnover in goal.

Hughey's two goals paced Guilford's balanced offense. Dylan Haupt added a goal and an assist. Nick Huckins picked up a team-best six ground balls and Deane finished with 15 saves, his third game with at least 15 stops this year.

The Quakers return home to host Hampden-Sydney College next Wednesday (4/2) in a 5:00 p.m. ODAC contest.

Back in the Big Time
September 2, 2013 Back in the Big Time